If you're looking for the perfect way to use that rhubarb in the backyard (like me) then this is the recipe to try! Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble. Besides all the chopping it's pretty easy to make.
Below are the pictures of the rhubarb that we have growing in our backyard. We have 2 huge plants of it. You can see with me standing beside it how big the leaves are. But, you don't use the leaves, they are poisonous to eat, only use the stalks.
If your plant is blooming flowering stalks, you should break off the flowering parts so that the plant can send it's energy to creating the leaves instead of flowers. Mine is growing huge and even with the flowering stalks still on there it seemed to be growing fine.
Pick your leaves (you can see how big they are with Ariana holding them up). I used 3 good sized stalks and got about 3 cups worth of usable rhubarb out of it.
Chop up your rhubarb and strawberries and we'll get started with the actually recipe part!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
3 cups strawberries, roughly chopped
3 cups rhubarb, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), cold, diced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
2. In a large bowl mix together strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl mix together oats, flour, sugar, brown sugar, cardamom, salt and lemon zest. Using a pastry cutter or fork work butter into mixture until crumbly.
4. Pour filling into sprayed pie pan. Top with crumble topping.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
6. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Copyright: Content on this web site, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons and images is the property of http://nowoodenspoons.blogspot.com
The selection, arrangement, and presentation of all materials on this web site is the property of http://mariasimoneidejhs.blogspot.com